6. Be More Active… in Easy Ways
The more active you are in the day plays the huge role in weight loss and obesity (2015 study).
But this doesn’t mean you need to run a marathon every day!
There are some simple ways to be more active in your daily life. For example:
- Use the stairs rather than an elevator or escalator
- Walk or cycle to work or the shops… if it’s too far try parking 10 minutes away from work and walk that bit
- Set 25-minute alarms if you work at a desk… stand up and walk for 5 minutes then return for another 25 minutes (this is called the Pomodoro Technique, which is also proven to improve productivity… try Noisli for free to help)
Are you beginning to see that none of these activities are hard to do?
But they are also easy not to do… the decision is yours.
- Your small decisions every day will make a huge difference to lose weight. We highly recommend reading the book The Slight Edge to help you make better decisions every day (reading 10 pages today would be easy for you to do… but it’s also easy not to do!)
- The big actions of intense exercise and eating 500 calories a day are not how you lose weight fast.
7. Exercise 3x Per Week AFTER the Detox
The reason the first 4 steps are all focused on what you put in your body is that it has been scientifically proven that it’s possible to lose weight without exercise.
If you are dramatically changing your diet, you actually shouldn’t even consider exercising within your first week of the detox.
Here are some important reasons why:
- You will lose weight without exercising.
- You have limited willpower. It’s proven you actually only have so many good decisions you can make in a day. This explains why you opt for the easy takeaway after a long day at work rather than the healthy home-cooked option!
- Long strenuous cardio exercise increases cravings and depletes glycogen levels (US National Library of Medicine).
There is a lot of research that suggests running and certain types of high-intensity exercise cause more cravings.
This is why at Well Fit Fam we recommend two types of anaerobic exercise:
- Fat burning yoga
- Specialized circuit training
- Try different yoga routines to see what you enjoy. It’s much easier to continue something that you enjoy (try relaxing yoga for beginners, or the best yoga poses to lose weight)
- Find times of the day that suit you i.e. before you leave for work (yes you may have to go to bed earlier), after you drop the kids at school, during a lunch break
- We recommend finding time before you get home from work (this is the hardest time to stay motivated as you have used many of your good choices for the day!)