3. Focus on QUALITY Whole Foods
This is a hugely important point but the first 2 points are more important to lose weight fast.
A study in the Journal of American Medical Association found that there wasn’t much difference in weight loss over a 12 month period between a healthy low-fat diet or a healthy low-carb diet.
Yes the low carb diet was slightly better (6kg average weight loss compared to 5.3kg in the low-fat diet), but the main finding was this:
Eating quality whole foods is far more important for weight loss in the mid to long term than anything else.
Rather than focusing on how a certain food makes you feel in the moment try to shift your focus to how you feel afterwards.
Do you feel tired and moody? Do you feel hungry again 30 minutes after eating? Does it make you feel satisfied and energetic?
FYI- it is not normal to feel sleepy and lethargic after eating a meal… that means you have either eaten too many bad carbs or eaten too much!
- Focus your attention on how a certain type of food makes you feel after eating it.
- Avoid man-made processed food, go for the whole food options.
- Eating whole foods is far more beneficial for weight loss than counting calories or any type of fad diet.
4. Drink More Water
So here are some scientifically proven facts about drinking more water:
- It’s an appetite suppressant (2014 study)
- Water increases calorie burning (NCBI study)
- Reduces the number of calorific drinks you consume (American Journal of Clinical Nutrition study)
Just think about it…
It makes sense, doesn’t it?
If you drink more water, you will be less likely to grab that can of coke (yes even diet coke can make you gain weight due to the effects it has on your body and brain!)
- Avoid fizzy drinks all together… water can be hard to take at first if you’re not used to it, but your body quickly adapts
- You can add a squeeze of lemon juice or add some fruit/ veg to the water i.e. strawberries, cucumber, orange… try it out and see what you like
- Always have a water bottle with you, that way you know exactly how much water you have drunk in the day. We recommend getting a good-sized bottle that keeps the water cool for hours so you don’t have to keep refilling it, such as the reasonably priced Cognito Chill Water Bottle.
5. The Sleep and Weight Loss Relationship
There have been several studies that show the effects sleep has on our bodies.
Here are some consequences of poor sleep:
- Increase your appetite & increase your calorie uptake
- Decrease your resting metabolism
But if you can get a good nights sleep here is what happens:
- Helps you fight cravings & make better choices
- More likely to take part in physical activity
- Prevents insulin resistance, which means the sugar in the body gets used as energy rather than stored in the bloodstream
Sleep is crucial for your body to function at its best, and when you want to lose weight fast you need to be at your best to make good decisions.
- Do not look at any screens (phone, TV, laptop) for at least 1 hour before going to sleep. Try reading before bed and even try out a relaxing bedtime yoga routine.
- Make sure your bedroom is as dark as possible… turn off any lights (including TV standby, alarm clock, or hallway lights) and make sure you have blackout curtains to prevent moonlight or streetlights coming in.
- Go to bed 9 hours before you need to wake up… this should help to get at least 8 hours of good sleep i.e. if you wake up at 7 am go to bed no later than 10 pm
Continue reading on the next page to discover the How to Lose Weight Fast: 7 Scientifically Proven Steps